St. Joseph Medical Center
Under the direction of the Supervisor of the Communications Department, the Communications Operator is responsible for ensuring the answering of all inbound and operator telephone calls in a timely manner. In addition, the Communications Operator is responsible for: paging and emergency communications (e.g. code blue, fire, etc.). Participates in activities to assure that customer satisfaction results are consistently maintained. Demonstrates effective communication and public relations skills. Complies with and supports the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
2. Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
4. Demonstrates telephone courtesy when assisting callers. Answers calls according to telephone courtesy protocol, screens and provides accurate information to caller. Assures telephone coverage at all times. Maintains self-control and patience when handling irate calls and responding to caller in a solution oriented manner.
5. Operates the Hospitals public address network equipment to transmit announcements & paging requests according to Hospital guidelines & procedures. Operates radio equipment to transmit requests, coordinate and/or relay information. Conduct pager and radio equipment tests. Follows proper radio procedures and restricts transmissions to official hospital business, speaking clearly and distinctly in a natural tone of voice.
6. Initiates emergency communications, such as code blue, internal & external disasters, fire, utility outages, etc. Monitors the Hospital fire & critical equipment alarms and the emergency (CPR, Fire & Security) telephone lines and alerts Hospital staff according to Hospitals emergency procedures
7. Demonstrates documentation/reporting skills. Files required written documentation (i.e. fire alarms, disaster, cascade etc. forms) in a timely manner. Ensures documentation is correct, concise, clear, and complete
- Monitors long-distance usage from the attendant console positions. As necessary, maintains and updates the hospital phone directory and Xtend database. Maintains the operator work area in a clean and neat fashion and leaves the work area in an appropriate condition for the next shift operator.
- Supportive of the compliance program as set forth by SJMC and demonstrated by:
b. Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
c. Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Compliance Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
- Sets and example to all staff in their daily activities.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Three to five years experience in a PBX operator position. Prefer experience in large hospital environment.
Education & Training:
High school diploma or equivalent
- Technical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills relevant to area in order to effectively communicate with physicians, health team members, patients and families.
- Ability to prioritize work with minimal supervision, in order to independently carry out the duties of the position.
- Able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Familiarity with computer based systems and general hospital operational knowledge
For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.