Tax Accountant, Sales and Use
Carpenter Co. has an immediate opening for a Sales and Use Tax Accountant at our Corporate office in Richmond, Virginia. The Sales and Use Tax Accountant will prepare and/or review the filing of all State Sales and Use tax returns, administer the Sales Tax Exemption Certificate Management System and make customer billing adjustments and journal entries as needed.
The Sales and Use Tax Accountant will be expected to process tax payments on a monthly basis completing any returns that are due and/or request checks for any payments that are due. This will also include learning the sales and use tax for each state where Carpenter collects sales tax.
Additional responsibilities of the Sales and Use Tax Accountant include:
- Reconcile monthly sales and use tax liability accounts
- Cross-train with fixed asset manager and learn accounting for prepaid taxes and insurance; provide backup assistance
- Reconcile and maintain rental income & lease payment agreements
- Maintain a schedule of all sales tax returns & tax payment due dates
- Preparation & filing of all state and local sales tax returns as well as government reports.
- Research state rules & regulations to determine proper application of sales tax rules
- Communicate with various state tax departments to obtain information or to solve problems concerning the sales tax returns
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or Business with an emphasis in Accounting preferred
- 2 or more years of experience working sales and use tax
- Acquired knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Microsoft Office experience, including strong experience with Excel is required
- Prior multi-state sales and use tax experience is required
- Exposure to SAP and/or tax research software is preferred
- Strong written and oral communication skills to interact professionally with customers and individuals at all levels of the organization.