Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona, United States
Arizona State University
Department Name: FS Tax Compliance
We are looking for a tax and accounting expert to facilitate the management, planning, and administration of the various tax compliance activities across the university. The ideal candidate is a team player who manages the tax team to greater performance, creates and implements tax plans and works with the accounting and leadership teams to identify opportunities for process improvement and potential areas of risk. The Tax Manager will ensure compliance with state, federal, and international tax law through a series of systems to ensure accurate, timely reporting. They will monitor current and impending changes to tax regulation and make the appropriate recommendations for updates to policies and strategies.
ASU is a diverse enterprise with a wide variety of work and learning modes, locations and a commitment to sustainability, innovation and employee work-life balance. We are determined to maintain our position as an employer of choice in a competitive labor market.
We offer our employees partially remote work after the training period is complete.
The successful candidate, not presently employed within Financial Services, will be paid a signing bonus of $750 and a $1,250 bonus after completing six months of employment with the department.
$80,000 per year
- Manage resources to accomplish goals and objectives while consulting with various University departments and staff on tax compliance issues.
- Facilitate and manage the preparation and review of multiple federal, state, and local tax returns and the accurate, timely filing of all tax forms including, but not limited to: Forms 990, 990-T, Sales and Use tax, Property tax, 1042-S, 1099’s.
- Review and consult regarding the §1442 and §1443 tax withholding obligations for various payments to foreign individuals and entities as well as treaty applicability.
- Review and consult on payroll tax implications of various fringe benefits, exemptions, and gross-ups while ensuring that public purpose and relevant policies are followed. Monitors and ensures compliance on these items.
- Review and consult with departmental business, payroll, and human resource staff to provide advice and determination regarding independent contractor approvals.
- Find and implement opportunities for process improvement in tax procedures.
- Monitor legislative and regulatory tax law developments, evaluate current tax policies and procedures for consistency and compliance with changes/additions to tax laws and IRS determinations; recommend and implement changes to ensure ongoing adherence.
- Manage and mentor tax team members to greater levels of effectiveness and engagement.
- Perform other professional accounting and tax duties as assigned and/or required.
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or a related field AND five (5) years of professional accounting experience; OR, nine (9) years of professional accounting experience; OR, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience in using accounting, analytical, technological, and research skills.
- Evidence of effective communication skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of tax code, compliance and procedures on tax matters specifically affecting colleges and universities.
- Experience in preparing and analyzing complex tax computations and reports.
- Experience in establishing good working relationships and resolution of conflicts across organizational lines.
- Experience with a variety of tax operations and ability to drive process improvements.
- Experience in utilizing project management and accounting best practices to organize and prioritize tasks and the tasks of other tax team members.
- Experience in working well independently as well as the ability to work well with stakeholders and communicate the benefits of tax initiatives.
- Experience in using organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to identify and mitigate tax risks while still meeting the goals of the university
- Work in an office setting and use office equipment (i.e. computers, printers, copiers, calculators, telephones).
- Sit or stand for extended periods of time, travel moderate distances to perform work, use hands/fingers for repetitive motions.
- Communicate to perform essential duties.
- Read-interpret written and oral instructions/directions.
- May require lifting of items weighing up to 25 lbs.
In support of the missions of Business & Finance and Arizona State University, Financial Services serves the university community in a professional, accessible, customer-focused, efficient and innovative manner by processing financial transactions and providing accounting, financial management reporting, financial system training and treasury management services in a timely fashion. Financial Services' mission is to provide a high level of service to the ASU community, along with the necessary financial protection via cost-effective internal controls.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the United States; ASU and Financial Services will not provide sponsorship for employment.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
To view full description or to apply please click this link:
Tax Manager | Arizona State University (brassring.com)