St. Thomas Preschool
Catholic School Job Description
Job Title: Catholic School Teacher's Aide Exemption Status: Non-exempt
Department/Location: St Thomas the Apostle Parish / Tucson, Arizona
Primary Function: Under the direction of the School Principal is responsible for being a role model and supporting the Diocese of Tucson in its mission to evangelize, catechize, and educate youth in a Catholic School environment. The teacher shall be a minister of the Gospel and Catholic Teaching both academically and behaviorally while at work and in his/her personal life, "Live in a manner worthy of the call you have received." (Eph. 4:1)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of this Ministerial Position:
- Recognize and support the unique Catholic Mission of the School by speaking, acting, and instructing consistent with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. The aide may not espouse, in word or deed, any doctrine inconsistent with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Give evidence of living Gospel values by being an active member of a faith community and being open to the importance of a personal faith journey; strive to model the teaching of Jesus by attitude and example.
- Help build the School’s faith community by a demonstrated willingness to participate in, and help plan, School religious and service activities.
- Lead and participate in classroom prayer daily.
- Demonstrate effectiveness in planning; prepare lessons to implement stated goals and objectives using provided materials; incorporate school and diocesan curriculum objectives
- Demonstrate competence in the teaching process in accord with the Diocese of Tucson education objectives
- Develop and use effective methods of evaluation, including monitoring and reporting on children's development
- Utilize play and interactive activities to develop language and vocabulary, introduce scientific and mathematical concepts and improve social skills
- Plan and organize a range of individual and group activities, including dramatic play, movement, dance, singing, games, arts, literacy, math, and nature activities
- Plan the indoor and outdoor environment to provide a positive and safe learning environment.
- Use creative and practical skills to prepare inspiring learning materials.
- Establish a consistent disciplinary approach which promotes self-direction and positive self-image
- Establish and maintain a functional and pleasant learning environment
- Work cooperatively with the administration and all staff members; promote positive relationships with students, parents, and others
- Manage all facets of the day-to-day operations of the preschool
- Ensure compliance with all licensing regulations
- Oversee the preparation and maintenance of records
- Maintain a professional manner and demonstrate a sense of professional responsibility
- Adhere to Diocese of Tucson Safe Environment program and guidelines regarding appropriate boundaries and compliance with current mandatory reporting law.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Physical/Mental Requirements: Requires coordination and manual dexterity, normal mental and visual ability; ability to lift as required in a normal school room environment.
Required Activities: Walking, sitting, standing, stooping, reaching, talking, hearing, and carrying
- A working knowledge of, and a strong commitment to the mission of fostering lay leadership in the Catholic Church. If a baptized Catholic must be a practicing Roman Catholic in full communion with the Church
- General computer skills including internet research
- Excellent communications skills including written, verbal; Professional bearing and clean and neat personal appearance
- Excellent leadership, human relations, and interpersonal skills; must be a self-starter, be well-organized, and must be a team player
- Evening and weekend work may be required
- Employ flexibility and follow directions
- Perform multiple tasks simultaneously and with a sense of urgency
- Exercise courtesy to fellow employees, parents, and others
- Be able to successfully complete a criminal history and background check
Education and Experience:
- Early childhood certificate from a 2-year college
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in a preschool environment
- Level I of the Diocesan Ministry Certification
- Bilingual preferred
- Must be willing to obtain Arizona standard teaching certificate with early childhood endorsement
Covenants of Employment:
St Thomas the Apostle is a Roman Catholic religious organization and that all employees are expected to respect and conduct themselves in accordance with the values, teachings, and morals of the Roman Catholic Church and by Arizona state law. Under the "Zero Tolerance Policy", no one will be knowingly assigned or retained to serve in the School when that person is determined to have engaged in the abuse of a minor or to have violated boundaries in dealing with minors.