Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona, United States
Utility Piping Specialist - FM Residential Facilities
Utility Piping Specialist - FM Residential Facilities
Arizona State University
Department Name: FDM FM Residential Facilities
Facilities Management, Residential Facilities, seeks Utility Piping Specialist to perform complex and precision work related to utility piping systems for residence halls, multi-unit housing, and commercial equipment.
$23.73 per hour or commensurate of experience and education. ASU offers a comprehensive benefits package with the State of Arizona.
17-May-2023 is the initial close date. Applications will continue to be accepted and reviewed every week.
- Install, repair, and maintain plumbing systems for residential and commercial buildings, facilities, and equipment.
- Repairing and inspecting residential plumbing equipment, including flushometers, wax rings, angle stops, supply lines, mixing valves, shower heads, faucets, cartridges, etc.,
- Repairing and inspecting commercial plumbing equipment, including boilers, water heaters, recirc pumps, sewage pumps/ejectors, chilled water and steam systems, and sweating and soldering pipes.
- Locate, install, repair, and/or replace water lines and drainage lines (e.g. copper, cast iron, and ABS).
- Work with drawings and specifications.
- Prioritize work based on critical needs assessment and assist other trades as needed; and perform other duties as assigned.
- Use effective communication to perform essential functions.
DAYS AND SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:30PM
Four years of plumbing and/or mechanical-pipefitting systems experience; OR, Completion of a four year federally approved technical training program in plumbing; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Installing, repairing, and/or maintaining plumbing and utility piping systems (i.e. steam, steam condensate, chilled water) in residential commercial facilities
- Inspecting utility mechanical system components (i.e. control flow valves, regulators, gate valves, expansion joints) in residential commercial facilities
- Pro Press
- Sweating & Soldering Pipes
- Customer service
Knowledge of plumbing codes
Evidence of effective communication skills
- Climb and work off ladders.
- Use hand tools (e.g. screwdrivers, pliers, crescent wrenches, piping wrenches, auger) power tools (e.g. drills and hand-held drain equipment) and commercial plumbing equipment (e.g. commercial snake).
- Ability to work in dirty environments with inadequate lighting, extreme noise, extreme temperatures, confined spaces (e.g. tunnels, man holes, and vaults), restricted movement and hazardous materials.
- Work off boom or grove truck to make repairs above six feet.
- Travel throughout campus.
- Lift and carry objects up to 75 pounds.
- Wear personal protective equipment (e.g. safety glasses, face shield, negative pressure respirator, gloves).
- Drive University vehicle.
- May be exposed to hazardous and dangerous materials, tools, and equipment which will require safety precautions and/or specific process to be followed, and may include the use of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) (e.g. safety glasses, hearing protection, negative pressure and positive pressure respirator). Use of PPE may require medical clearance prior to use.
SU Facilities Development and Management (FDM) maintains and services all university-owned property, and develops and constructs innovative and sustainable facilities. FDM’s vision is to contribute to and guarantee the success of the university’s mission by creating and caring for the ASU campus and environment. We provide quality customer service, effectively steward our resources, and meet the needs of the university through creative and collaborative efforts.
ASU offers a comprehensive benefits package at very competitive rates to enhance the total compensation of its faculty and staff. This package includes low-cost health and life benefits to insure you and your family, a wellness program for preventative health education and screenings, a disability and leaves program for income protection, employee assistance for free and confidential behavioral health services, access to world-class educational opportunities at ASU/UofA/NAU at deeply discounted rates for you and your eligible dependents, disability resources for Americans with Disabilities (ADA), a retirement program with a variety of retiree benefits to ensure your financial security at the end of your career, paid vacation and holidays – and more. For more information, please visit the Office of Human Resources, Benefits website, at https://cfo.asu.edu/benefits
ASU’s comprehensive benefits package is a significant part of your overall total compensation – and ASU pays for most of it when you are a benefits-eligible employee. https://cfo.asu.edu/compensation-estimator
For more reasons to join ASU, please visit: https://cfo.asu.edu/why-work-asu
Facilities Development and Management at ASU employment requires current eligibility to legally work in the United States. Facilities Development and Management will not be a sponsor for this position.
This position is located at the University Services Building, 1551 S. Rural Road, Tempe, AZ (on Rural Road south of Apache Blvd).
Must possess a valid Arizona driver's license upon employment and maintain throughout employment. A Department of Motor Vehicle search will be conducted. Post-offer of employment, selected candidate must possess an acceptable driving record which is 5 or fewer points in the most recent 39 month period from date of hire.
This position is dependent on the continuation of funding from a specific source other than general operating funds. As such, this appointment may terminate when the funding is no longer available.
This position requires working a rotating on-call/stand-by schedule and may be called in for emergency response including nights, weekends, and holidays.
Must pass pre-employment physical examination post offer of employment to include audiogram, asbestos worker clearance, respiratory clearance questionnaire and respiratory fit test.
May participate in programs which involve adherence to program regulations, including physical exam, annual testing, x-rays, medication, vaccinations at ASU expense, and completion of a Health Surveillance Questionnaire.
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of all background, including fingerprint checks.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
Work reference history information for 3 current and/or former supervisors will be requested at time of interview.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
To view full description or to apply please click this link:
Utility Piping Specialist - FM Residential Facilities | Arizona State University (brassring.com)