Arizona State University
An exciting opportunity to work at a cultural site, the Deer Valley Petroglyph Preserve is an archaeology museum and 47-acre nature preserve with over 1500 petroglyphs on a protected walking trail. Under the supervision of the Assistant Director for the Deer Valley Petroglyph Preserve, the Visitor Assistant is the primary point of contact for public visitation, greeting and educating visitors on the cultural experience as well as performing clerical and administrative duties in support of front desk operations. The Deer Valley Petroglyph Preserve is operated and maintained by the School of Human Evolution and Social Change at Arizona State University.
This position is located onsite in the Northwest valley at 3711 West Deer Valley Rd., Phoenix, AZ.
$20.00 per hour
· Open and close the museum for the day, following onsite readiness procedures including video and display setup, cash registers, printed guides, products, trail check, and tour preparation as needed.
· Provide customer service in a friendly, courteous and effective manner. Greet and orient visitors, answering basic questions about the site and the Museum’s programs, answer inquiries in person and on the phone, and sell/process admission
· Assist with educational programming delivery, organizing materials, preparing presentation activities, and coordinating groups onsite
· Assist with educating visitors on the trail and in museum as needed – presenting historical facts and data relative to site research and on changing site exhibits Assist guests/problem solving as needed: exhibit issues, comfort needs, health and safety issues, security issues, etc.
· Assist in maintaining databases and records that relate to museum operations and events, including collecting and reporting visitor survey information Process membership renewals and payments
· Cash handling: open & close register, collect admissions and museum store sales.
· Assist with sales, inventory, and reports for retail museum-branded items
· Assist and support marketing efforts for the preserve
· Maintain order and cleanliness of the front desk, gallery and museum store
No prior experience required; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
· Demonstrated knowledge of guest services practices and visitor interaction in a southwest cultural public attraction, museum or preserve
· Experience in cash management and reporting for public admission and products sales, general record keeping and cashiering, including the use of credit card machines
· Experience in formal presentation of historical and cultural data specific to southwest archaeology, rock imagery and indigenous cultures
· Experience in using interaction and communication skills with diverse public and community members and organizations
· Experience in assisting with development of lecture series and workshops in topics directly related to southwest archaeology, rock art and cultural sites.
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and QuickBooks.
· Evidence of effective written communication skills.
· Demonstrated knowledge of general office procedures and practices.
· Ability to be a team player.
· Experience in using time management and organizational skills.
· Communicate effectively to perform essential duties
· Ability to meet, greet and direct all visitors and staff, professionally representing the museum and the center Analyze processes to resolve issues
· Use critical thinking to make decisions
· Use computers effectively including inputting, reviewing and retrieving information, extended periods of viewing screen, and using mouse and keyboard Sit or stand for extended periods of time
· Occasionally bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds
· Environmentally-controlled museum facility, with occasional outdoor trail activity, walking short distances
Known for its leadership in innovative education and research, the School of Human Evolution and Social Change includes one of the nation's top-ranked anthropology programs and the largest and most research-productive transdisciplinary anthropology faculty in the nation. Staying true to our four-field anthropological origins means we remain committed to leveraging a long-term, comparative, and holistic perspective on human origins and diversity as a way to understand and address complex problems, now and for the future, and a deep concern for community engagement and social justice. In addition to anthropology, our students can earn degrees in global health, applied mathematics for the life and social sciences and museum studies. We are also known for our high quality study abroad, field school programs and research apprenticeship opportunities for our ~1,000 undergraduate majors and ~125 graduate students.
We offer a dynamic, collegial, and challenging work environment due to the pace of innovation, complex array of research and academic programs, and high profile initiatives. SHESC is the largest social science unit in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, ASU's largest and most diverse college. For complete information see http://shesc.asu.edu/.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
To view full description or to apply please click this link: