County of Bernalillo
Internal Only- Program Supervisor
Position Summary & Duties Responsible
Under the general direction of the assigned supervisor, is responsible for the supervision and direction of the following areas of service; training and education programs for DWI offenders, detoxification treatment, transition programs and inmate service programs offered through the department.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES SUMMARY
- Develop, implement and evaluate treatment services curriculum for specific areas of responsibility; coordinate efforts with other services.
- Plan, direct and participate in evaluation counseling or other DWI/detox education and treatment efforts; recommend modifications to programs to improve services and results and coordinate operations of assigned area of responsibility.
- Supervise and direct the work of staff assigned to specific area of responsibility; participate in the interview, selection, evaluation and discipline of staff. May supervise scheduling of contractual staff
- Train assigned staff in specific areas of work including educational training and development methods, procedures and techniques.
- Oversee the referral of support services as needed, such as medical and psychological evaluation and treatment.
- Serve as a liaison between the hospitals, community, courts, outreach and criminal justice agencies.
- Oversee the maintenance of case files and records for area of assignment.
- Prepare, research and develop written reports and presentations regarding area of responsibility.
- Provide staff assistance to supervisor in budget planning and management, development and implementation of goals, objectives and priorities.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings and stay abreast of current practices and new trends relative to position.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned or required
- Bachelor's Degree in Counseling, Psychology, Sociology or related field, plus four (4) years experience in the area of addiction treatment, substance abuse counseling, corrections, case management and/or social service work providing direct one on one assistance to the public to include one (1) year supervisory experience; OR any related combination of education from an accredited college or university or related experience totaling seven (8) years to include one (1) year supervisory experience. Related education and experience may substitute for the required education and experience and may be interchangeable on a year for year basis.
- Knowledge of operations and activities of an addiction treatment program.
- Knowledge of alcohol and substance theory and treatment; knowledge of a wide range of treatment modalities, knowledge of therapeutic programs services; knowledge of crisis intervention techniques; knowledge of community based programs for substance abuse and other human services.
- Knowledge of legal and ethical issues related to clients' rights.
- Ability to develop, implement, evaluate and modify therapeutic program services at the individual as well institutional level.
- Ability to utilize discretion and independent judgment. Ability to maintain confidentiality of client and staff records at all times.
- Ability to supervise, organize and formally evaluate the work of clinical staff.
- Excellent oral written communication skills and the ability to write reports containing statistical program information.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working interactions with managerial staff, subordinates, County officials, and the general public.
- Ability to maintain emotional stability in stressful situations.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment.
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) desirable.
SCREENING AND COMPLIANCE
The offer of this Bernalillo County position requires compliance with the following:
- Employee must successfully complete the post-offer employment medical examination and background investigation.
- Employee must comply with the safety guidelines of the County.
- The majority of essential duties are performed indoors in a temperature-controlled environment.
- Indoor working surface is even and may be carpeted or tiled.
- Indoor surfaces are typically dry and may involve the use of stairs.
- Work hazards or potential work hazards include those of a detoxification facility environment with exposure to noise and dangerous situations that could involve serious bodily injury and other health hazards.
- May potentially work alone with or without directions. May work within a group at times and/or with a select team at times.
- May perform above mentioned functions at any of the facilities within the Department of Substance Abuse Programs. This may include shift and program reassignment. Flexible work hours required.
- Equipment typically used to perform administrative duties includes the telephone, computer, telefax machine, typewriter, photocopy machine, and communication equipment.
- Materials and products typically handled in the performance of administrative duties include a wide variety of forms and paperwork, reports, various writing utensils and a wide assortment of other basic office supplies and materials.
- May handle first aid and oxygen equipment on an occasional basis.